Recent Commercial Posts
SERVPRO of Cullman/Blount Counties is There When Disaster Hits!
Disasters can strike your commercial property while you are sleeping! We understand the urgency for immediate repairs and can act fast to help minimize further damage. SERVPRO of Cullman/Blount Counties emergency response helpline is always open and standing by to take your phone call 24/7!
Regardless of the cause, we will fast respond and help you assess problems or issues the water damage produced and start the mitigation and recovery process. Before emergency repairs are started, we remove any salvageable items, assess the extent of the damage and contamination to put together a repair plan.
SERVPRO of Cullman/Blount Counties has professionals with the training, experience, and equipment to manage water and flooding damage. Whether you have a large water emergency or a small water damage event, we will respond fast to mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project through to its completion.
SERVPRO of Cullman/Blount Counties provides a wide scope of services. Some are biohazard cleanup and removal, general construction for rebuilding and remodeling structures. Those are in addition to the fire, water and mold cleanup and restoration services you may already be familiar with. Below is a list of some of our services offered.
- Fire, Smoke, and Soot Cleanup and Restoration
- Water Removal and Dehumidification
- Crime Scene, Biohazard and Vandalism Cleanup
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
- Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning and Care
- Stain Removal, Stain Resistance Applications
- Odor Identification and Deodorization
Upholstery and Drapes: Wet and Dry Cleaning Methods
Keep Your Business Safe During Storm Season
A few common safety rules and precautions suggests that the public should generally try to stay inside of a safe area or building when a lightning storm or thunderstorm occurs. There are many commercial buildings in Boulder. SERVPRO of Cullman/Blount Counties wants to share the following safety tips for staying safe during a thunderstorm while inside of a commercial building:
- Unplug appliances if possible
- Pay attention to all alerts and warnings, as a thunderstorm can develop into a tornado if powerful enough
- Avoid running water if possible since electricity can travel through plumbing
- Stay away from all windows or glass walls, especially during a lightning storm
Although the weather can be predicted, it can also change in an instant without much warning. If a thunderstorm does happen to turn into tornado weather in Boulder, consider the following tips:
- Use your arms to protect your head and neck in the event of flying debris or shattered windows
- Do not leave the safe area until the local alerting system says it is safe to do so
- If the commercial building has a basement or storm cellar, head there immediately
Remember, we are here to help. Our trained technicians will show up ready to go to begin the cleanup and restoration process after a thunderstorm, lightning storm and even a tornado. If you experience water damage, fire damage, or mold damage from a storm, we are Here to Help.
SERVPRO of Cullman/Blount Counties is independently owned and operated.
An ERP Will Reduce Business Interruptions
Did you know that according to industry research, as many as 50% of businesses may not recover following a disaster? Having a contingency disaster plan in place can help you and your business to not be a statistic.
Having a SERVPRO Professional develop a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) for your business or commercial property is key to helping you minimize business interruption. Knowing what to expect and what to do beforehand is key to minimizing the effects of fire and water damage.
What are the advantages of an ERP?
- Free - No Cost assessment of your facility
- Concise Document with only critical information
- A Guide to get you back into your building
- Identifies line of command to authorize work to begin
- Provides shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information
Schedule your ERP today!
Act Fast When a Pipe Bursts in Your Commercial Building
A pipe bursting can happen at the blink of an eye. Be advised that bursting pipes can cause extensive water damage, which is why it’s important to call a restoration company as soon as possible.
- Stop the Water
Turn off the water immediately. After you shut off the main water supply, you need to drain the pipes. To do this, turn on the cold water on every faucet on your property and flush every toilet at least once. Then turn off the hot water heater and run the hot water on every faucet. Taking these crucial steps ensures the leak will stop. But you’re not done yet.
- Reduce and Fix the Damage
At this point, it’s best to reach out to the professionals so they can fix the broken pipe. However, you might be able to locate the broken pipe yourself. Don’t walk in water as this brings the risk of getting electrocuted. It’s recommended that you turn off the electrical power no matter if the water is one foot or only one inch high. Unplug appliances and turn off the furnace. If it is safe, you can move valuable items, electronics and fabrics to higher ground.
- Call a Cleanup Company
Opening the windows and running fans run won’t prevent mold growth from bursting pipes. No matter how extensive you think the damage is, contact a water restoration company as there might be damage you are not able to spot. Mold and mildew begins to grow only 24 to 48 hours after such an event.
When your plumbing breaks, there’s little time to spare. Take these three steps immediately to reduce the water damage in Cullman and Blount counties due to bursting pipes.
Summer Maintenance for Your Building
Sunny weather is the best time to spruce up your commercial property. Let’s go over a few maintenance tips that can help your Cullman or Blount county property.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts – pine needles, leaves and debris can build up gutters and clog downspouts over the fall and winter months. When the rainy season hits, the clogs will cause water to pool which can lead to water damage, including damp spots, mold growth, dry rot, and peeling paint.
- Get your roof inspected – getting your roof inspected once a year is one of the best ways to prevent roof leaks. If you notice any loose tiles or shingles call a roofing company for repairs.
- Wash off your property’s exterior – the wet summer weather can bring in dirt and moss to the exterior of your building. With a pressure washer, you can easily remove, dirt, dust, grime, moss and the like from walls, fences, parking lots, driveways and sidewalks to maintain the outside of your property.
- Apply a fresh of coat of paint – this will boost curb appeal for your property. The paint will provide a resistant layer against the elements, and could reduce the need for major exterior repairs in the future.
- Clean up vegetation around the building – the summer months can be dry and the heat can make flames spread easily. Remove any excessively dry plants, and trim back bordering plants to avoid a preventable disaster.
We Offer Board Ups
Have you ever wondered if there was a company out there that does board-ups? There is. And that company is SERVPRO® of Cullman/Blount Counties. Whether you need a residential or commercial property to be boarded up, we are always here to help.
Whether after a fire, storm, or other structural disasters, boarding up damaged property is a burden that no one should ever have to go through— especially if it is your property that has been damaged.
Boarding up damaged property incorrectly could cause secondary damages such as moisture or animal intrusion. Excess moisture can result in microbial growth and damage. The process of boarding up after an unexpected damage can also be as dangerous as the damage itself. Our experienced and qualified professionals here at SERVPRO® of Cullman/Blount Counties can board up the damaged property. We mitigate and remediate the original damage while providing you with peace of mind.
Protect Your Business After a Fire Damage!
There are a host of reasons why a fire at your commercial property can be stressful. Your mind will then be filled with hundreds of questions on what to do next and who to call for help.
After a fire, it's time to start the remediation process. When the fire cleanup team leaves for the day, your property will be unoccupied. Installing a fence can protect the premises from the following:
When the clean up professionals leave for the day, you'll be responsible for the property. That means that if an employee sneaks by to pick up a personal item and slips on some water or steps through a weakened floor, you could be held liable for their injuries.
Installing a temporary security fence can also prevent your property from individuals who may want to steal items from your business, take building materials, or destroy and deface property.
Tarp the Roof
Humans are only half of the equation when it comes to protecting your building during fire cleanup. You'll likely have the weather to contend with as well. Employ tarps to shield holes in the roof from rain, sleet, snow and hail.
An open window or door invites intruders. To prevent animals from temporarily making home in your building, board up any opening that wouldn't normally be there. Like the roof tarp, these barricades will keep out high winds and other weather as well.
A fire at your commercial property in Cullman or Blount county, can be overwhelming. Protect the premises from the beginning with a security fence, tarps and boards, and you can begin decreasing your stress levels just as swiftly.
Commercial Fire Causes
Preventing fires in commercial buildings, especially some of the more common ones, is relatively straightforward. For example, many business owners are surprised to learn that a fire started in a common area, or near a water heater. The fire's damage and the loss of business while the restoration is underway can significantly impact the business.
Our teams have seen many fire sites where the fire could have been prevented. Rest assured that we can be on-site to begin cleanup and restoration in less than four hours and return your business to normal operations as soon as possible.
Several of the more common causes of commercial fires include:
- Misusing equipment by untrained or careless employees
- Improperly discarded cigarettes
- Poorly maintained boilers, water heaters, or heating systems
- Combustible trash placed near heating systems
- Electrical and heating systems maintained by unlicensed technicians
Our team is available 24/7 to begin restoration and mitigate further damage caused by materials utilized by the fire department to control the fire.
How Long Will the Process Take?
Every fire restoration project can vary and be different in terms of the extent of the physical damage, the impact of water and fire retardants used by the fire department, and smoke/soot that may have spread throughout the building. One of SERVPRO's team leaders assesses the damage before developing a plan to restore your business. Details are discussed with the business owner and the insurance company if required.
Fire restoration can include the following actions:
- Removal of all materials that cannot be repaired
- Smoke and odor damaged materials are removed for cleaning and deodorization
- Professional cleaning of all surfaces
- Restoration of damaged structures and commercial materials
Call SERVPRO of Cullman/Blount Counties for help with fire damage to your commercial building or business.